Roxas City, Capiz. The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Capiz Field Office recently conducted a series of orientation on the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) in three Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) in Capiz. The activity was in coordination with the Roxas City Public Employment Service Office (PESO) thru Ms. Milagros Barquin and three Job Placement Offices (JPOs) headed by Ms. Glecenia Orcine of HERCOR College, Ms. Phoebe F. Santiago and SPES Coordinator Mr. Jesus Adam Bering of Filamer Christian University and Rev. Fr. Rual N. Ticar, Jr. of Colegio de la Purisima Concepcion.

The orientation started last January 24, 2019 at HERCOR College Main Campus followed by the orientation sessions at the Filamer Christian University on January 26, 2019 and Colegio de la Purisima Concepcion on January 31, 2019.

The aforementioned educational institutions enlisted a total of 360 student beneficiaries for the implementation of this year’s SPES. For the first two activities, 180 student beneficiaries were oriented on the requirements to be submitted as well as the type of work that will be given to them. They likewise accomplished the pre-employment survey questionnaire for the SPES Basic Life Skills.

Ms. Ma. Cecilia S. Acebuque, Head of DOLE Capiz shared that the Office also closely coordinated with the JPOs for the implementation of the program. As a result, Acebuque said that the JPOs are currently processing SPES applications and requirements which will be implemented in batches starting early February and April.

Qualified applicants will then be deployed in various departments and offices of the HEIs and will be given assignments according to the work program submitted to DOLE. They will also be employed for 30 days, earning a salary of at least P10,950.00 based on the prevailing minimum wage rate in the region. Of this amount, 40% will be provided by DOLE while the remaining 60% will be shouldered by the participating employer.

SPES is an employment bridging program during summer or Christmas vacation that aims to augment the family income of poor but deserving students, out-of-school youths, and dependents of displaced or would be displaced workers who intend to finish their education.